Sunday, May 22, 2016

Run Your Race

I know I said I'd be posting reruns while I'm writing the Bible study, but what I didn't think about was that I have awesome friends who are incredible writers. So instead of Evergreen posts, the blog will have guest writers through June. Our first is from one of my favorite friends, Hannah Clements. This girl is my personal minister and she speaks to my heart so eloquently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


If you are in education or have kids in school, you know the race of the year is almost over. Things are winding down and stress levels are winding up. End of year testing is in the midst and final lessons are being taught. All the while, middle school students revert to kindergarten behavior and teachers nearly lose their minds.

Personally, I nearly thought about quitting - not finishing the race strong but just strolling through just to get by. I lost my caring and listening ear and truly didn't care if she called him a chicken nugget and he called her a tooth pick. (This happened, friends. Middle schoolers in May.)

But then my own motivational talk to a classroom pierced my own tired human heart. “Imagine I am running a race, does it make sense to stop running and stroll to the finish line when I can see it in sight? To start walking when the end is near after you ran your fastest and hardest the other part of the race?” I asked a classroom on middle schoolers with glazed eyes. “No! Of course not! If you were running a race, it is the end where you scrounge up every last bit of energy and run faster and harder than ever before to cross the finish line."

Then I remembered for about a week, I stopped running and started strolling. I gave up. The stress and drama won. But oh how I want my students to finish strongly, to hang in there and to not give up (in this race and in their next) and oh how I can't give up on my own beautiful, sometimes difficult race.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.” - Hebrews 12:1

Jesus has called us to run the race that is set before us to the very end. Not to just meander through but to RUN. To love even when it is hard and they are not lovely. To give grace when grace has already been given 180 times before. To speak with kindness when the spoken words feel like they are on repeat. To carry joy like a banner even when our banner is worn.

Friends, we are surrounded by witnesses. Sometimes those witnesses fill our classrooms or our homes and are watching our every move. Let us strip off the things that slow us down - our bad attitudes, complaints, short temper, and carelessness and let Jesus replace those with His goodness for they are watching us.

Teachers, parents, believers, our race isn't to just make it through. Whatever your race may be it is one of great purpose. Purpose with each step of the way. RUN it as if you were doing it for Him.

Oh Lord, this race is long and I have grown weary. Renew my strength and replace the things that slow me down with joy and righteousness. Thank you for this beautiful race. May I seek your face and see your glory each step of the way.

Amen.

But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength.They will soar high on wings like eagles.They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31


1 comment:

  1. This was a great gift to all of us at the year's (school) end... So glad to find you on this blog! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete