Sunday, May 15, 2016

I'm Writing a Bible Study...

So, I'm a little crazy. Amidst the opening and preparation of the new studio in Mount Holly I've decided to write my very first Bible study.

Because there are 28 hours in a day, right? Right?

Kidding aside I'm super excited to take this step in my writing ministry and I hope you'll come along beside me. Sunday, June 19 here on the blog and on Wednesday, June 22 at Depot Church we'll begin the study of the book of James. This 10 week study will carry us into August. You can read more about the study in the introduction below.

Study guides will also be available for purchase by emailing me at the blog or contacting me through Facebook. Additional copies will be available at Create in Us Art Studio and Depot Church. Copies are just $5 a piece. Pre-orders are taking place now and you'll receive your copy by mail or by me before June 19. The sooner you order the better, so I'll know how many copies to order.

The study guide will feature 20 pages of hand lettered and watercolor text and art complete with response questions, prayers, and space for notes.

While I'm writing this study I will have to say goodbye to weekly blogging until the study starts up in June. I'll still be posting your favorite past posts as Evergreen posts each Sunday night.

So, let's start praying. Please pray for me as I write my first ever study. Pray that I will receive wisdom beyond my own ability. I will be praying for each of you, too. That Jesus will use the book of James to transform the way you see the world, yourself, and Him.

Let's get started.

James
Practical Wisdom
for a 
Present World

A 10-week study

When Jesus arose from the grave He appeared to lots of people. Many personal encounters
are recorded in the New Testament: His reassurance to a doubting Thomas, His forgiveness
given to a repentant Peter, His hope given to the heavy-hearted on the road to Emmaus. 
I Corinthians 15:7 says Jesus appeared to James as well, but that encounter isn't described.
Why? Well, as Beth Moore says, "Because it isn't any of our business."

See, Jesus and James had some things to discuss. Not only was James a follower of Jesus, 
but he and Jesus shared physical blood - they were brothers, both the sons of Mary.
Even before we read a word in the book of James some things have been revealed to us:
James was of personal importance to Jesus.
Jesus was of personal importance to James. 
Because Jesus is a personal God.

James saw Jesus not only as brother, but also as Christ. And James sought to teach others
that a personal relationship with Jesus is the only way to live life.

James the book is described as a New Testament Proverbs, a book of practical living
that transcends place or time. 

James knew Jesus, possibly more than any other human ever did. He never went a single day 
of his life without knowing Jesus and this shaped his life in radical ways, causing him to do
radical things for God's glory.

James the book calls us to this same relationship and teaches us that knowing Jesus 
personally can cause us to do radical things for God's glory. 

So let's start our study, let's commit to reading, responding, and praying over this book
for 10 weeks. It's a real book for real people who want to know 
what walking with Jesus should look like. And who better than James to teach us?



1 comment: