Sunday, April 26, 2015

He Speaks

What does it sound like when God speaks? Is it crashes and booms? A thunderous deep voice that sounds like James Earl Jones and Morgan Freeman combined? Does God have a British accent?

It seems these are the ways the voice of God is portrayed. And I don't know, maybe sometimes He speaks this way. But in all personal stories I've heard, including my own, God's voice sounds nothing like Darth Vader.

So He said, "Go forth and stand on the mountain before the LORD." And behold, the LORD was passing by! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12After the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of a gentle whisper. 13When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, a voice came to him and said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"
1 Kings 19:11-13

Did you catch it? God's voice wasn't found in the gale force winds, the earthquake, or the fire. 

His voice was the whisper. The soft, gentle whisper to His beloved Elijah.

Just as God gives individual gifts to every human being, He speaks to us in individual ways. Ways that only our person would understand. Ways that only you would pay attention to. Jesus always spoke to the individual in topics and settings that person would connect with. He'll do the same for you. God seeks to speak your language.

For me? It's birdsong. Even now I hear a happy sparrow outside my bedroom window. My heart swells hearing that little bird, knowing his song and my heart are one in worship. I have heard birdsong in times when I've needed comfort, healing, or an outlet to express joy. This is God's voice to me. His presence shared.

I'm a big believer that those who belong to God are not subject to coincidence. Your God is intentional with every detail of your day. If a certain song comes on the radio, or a special friend who you were just thinking of calls, or you simply see a repeated word throughout the course of a day: this is God speaking.

Our culture has told us that God speaks in thunderstorms. Any maybe sometimes that's true. But I believe God mostly speaks in delightful morning mists: a barely there sensation, but enough to renew and refresh.

When God spoke in 1 Kings 19 He asked a question - but He also spoke a name: "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

He calls us by name in His gentle whisper.

We learn in the rest of this passage that Elijah was in fear for His life and that He was seeking the protection and solace of God. God provided this for Elijah in abundance. He does this for us, too. He shares with us that His might and glory are powerful enough to reshape mountains through wind, earthquake, and fire. This is the greatness of God.

But when He speaks to us, His beloved, He stoops down, takes us gently by the hand and whispers, "Darling, I am here. How can I help you?" This is the goodness of God.

So here is your challenge, friend. Knowing that God speaks to you - how does He do it? I'd love if you'd share in the comments or on Facebook.

He is your Shepherd. You are His sheep. You know His voice. (John 10:27)

Lord, may it be so.



1 comment:

  1. I definitely hear God's voice most clearly through water. Whether it be the gentle sound of raindrops tapping on the windowsill, the quiet swirl of the water in my backyard pool, a wishing fountain in the park, a babbling mountain brook, a roaring river, or the mighty ocean waves crashing on the shore, water soothes my soul like nothing else.... and I know my God is speaking to me!

    ReplyDelete