Sunday, June 14, 2015

Picture (Im)Perfect

I have the privilege of living in a charming craftsman home on a lush five acre lot. This home has been handed down for four generations in my husband's family. It was a treasure generously given to my little family and every day I am thankful.

Our home is easy to spot. Actually most people in my town know exactly where I live because my house has existed longer than any living person in our town. And most likely, God willing and the creek don't rise (Yes, literally the beautiful creek nearby.), it will exist long after we're all gone.

The house stands on the corner of a popular cut-through between two well-traveled highways, so in addition to its history, it is also a landmark to travelers in this area of the county.

Because of this renown I'm a complete perfectionist as to what the outside of our house looks like. 

Which is a major problem.

Because the outside of my house usually looks like a wreck. 

In the years since we've lived here we've seen a tornado and a hurricane.

Tornado is almost six and loves baseball and sidewalk chalk. Hurricane is two and likes to pee in the grass and break all potted plants.

Therein lies my problem: a picturesque yard ain't happenin'. At least not for approximately 15 more years when Tornado is paying rent in his own place and Hurricane is enjoying his full ride to Duke. (Let's hope he stops relieving himself in the yard by then.)

Here's the thing: I don't care that my yard is not always mowed. Or that it has an obnoxiously large trampoline in it. Or that it currently looks like a Wet n' Wild water park complete with sprinkler, Slip n' Slide, and baby pool. I love it. My boys love it. They play. We laugh.

But I do care what others think of my yard. I cringe when I create in my mind what others are saying as they drive by.

What a gorgeous home - too bad it looks like a Toys R Us blew up in their grass.

That house has such history - I hate that they let those chickens walk around everywhere. 

(Did I forget to mention the chickens? Their names are John Adams, Darth Chicken, and the red one.)

I'm happy with my home, but I'm not happy with what others think about my home.

And friends, this attitude is not okay. I should not feel the need to apologize for the evidence of healthy, active children and chickens. 

Proverbs 29:25 says this:
It is dangerous to be concerned with what others think of you, 
but if you trust the Lord, you are safe. 

Truth be told I live in a sweet little town. And most likely when people drive by they say, "Look at those precious boys playing in their yard."

But I shouldn't care either way. The only judgement that should matter to me concerning my yard, my decisions, or my life is God's. I cannot concern myself with pleasing others. I must concern myself only with pleasing God.

If the clutter in my yard is evidence of a life lived with joy and love then I am guilty. I need to release myself from the guilt of a home that is not picture perfect. And I need to start taking pride in a life that is picture perfect.

I am so tired of looking at myself through the lens of other people and even the lens of my own, narrow vision. My life is best viewed through the lens of my Creator's eyes. And if I'm in Jesus then when He looks at me all He sees is perfection: the perfection of Jesus. 

One day, in years that will go by too quickly, my yard will be well-manicured and not a baseball field. Toy-free, but childhood free. Full of bright blossoms, but not one broken pot. Not one single kid peeing in the bushes as you drive by. 

So today I will appreciate the clutter and know that God, the only One whose opinion matters, thinks my yard looks pretty fantastic.

Lord, may it be so.








No comments:

Post a Comment