Sunday, November 29, 2015

Praise from the Pit

Friends, I am thrilled to introduce this week's guest blogger, my dear friend Hannah Clements. Hannah is beautiful inside and out and speaks words of encouragement from a heart that is much like His. Take a few moments today and listen to this timely message for the holidays. xo, Jennifer



This Thanksgiving I gave thanks on the mountain top. Praise Jesus! 2015 was the best year full of adventures with the ones I love. While sipping coffee and praising Him on the mountain top Thanksgiving morning, I hear Him gently whisper, "But would you praise me in the pit?” 

"Yes Lord, I will praise you in the pit,” I responded, a little hurt that He would need to ask me. Peter must have felt the same when Jesus asked him not once, but 3 times, "Do you love me?"  

Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to Him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.” John 21:16-17 ESV

You see, the pit is where faith is refined. Where Jesus becomes enough. James said in Chapter 1 "to consider it pure joy when you face trials.” Consider it joy when you are in the pit. James says trials produce "steadfast" faith. Steadfast means unwavering and firm. Lord, I want to be steadfast. But my heart cries, "God protect me from the pit, protect my family, friends and all things dear. No pits for me, please. ...But if it be so l will praise you.” 

I think of my sweet friend whose Thanksgiving this year may feel more like the pit, whose 2015 was filled with more heart break than adventure. Lord, you see her. You see her praising you in the pit. How you must delight in her unwavering faith and praise in all circumstances. 

If you, like my friend, find yourself in the pit this holiday season, rest assured that God, El Roi - the God who sees - sees YOU. He sees your heartache and hears your faint whispers of praise AND He delights in you. Whispers of Praise in the pit must be worth more to Him than shouts of Praise on the mountain top. One thing I know is He is good in seasons of mountain tops and in seasons of valleys low. For He alone is worthy of your praise. Praise Him where you are today. 

Oh Lord, help me to praise you in the pit. Help me to praise you in all circumstances. Lord, you give and you take away. Bind my wandering heart to thee, Lord, for I will need your help to praise you in the pit. Lord, the cry of my heart is to love you, to tend your sheep, and to praise you in the pit.

Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful words Hannah... Praise Him in the pit... I needed these words... God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this Hannah! It's been a while since we last spoke but your words from a distance spoke to me tonight. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete