Sunday, March 27, 2016

Out Sing the Birds

Standing under the dogwood, a whistle, sharp and solid, flies on the breeze to my ear. A cadence of piercing birdsong spanning for several minutes- this bird has something to say. I make my way through the trees, trying to match my sight to the sound. His music fascinates me as he praises his Creator with a melody both lovely and pure. Finally, I spot him in the old walnut tree near the edge of the woods. Perched on the highest limb, his call as bold as his bright red feathers. He knows Who his song is for.

I wish I lived life this way. In certainty of my identity. Brave enough to stand on the highest branch, singing my song without the least concern of what the blue jays or robins or sparrows of nearby trees may think.

The red bird's song is sure and heartfelt.

I want my song to be sure and heartfelt.

And, in that moment, I refuse to let him out sing me.

So I begin filing through the music in my brain. What song do I sing?

What can I proclaim to this early springtime forest, that is alive and dancing in sunlight and birdsong and breezes, that could add even an ounce of beauty?

And so I sing the only thought that makes me fly to the top of the tree and sing my clearest and best.

Jesus loves me. 
This I know.
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong.
They are weak, but He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
The Bible tells me so.

And with my song sung to the end, the red bird opens his wings and takes flight over my head and into the thick trees. Having listened to God’s own child declare her praises, he knew. His clear, instinctive melody of worship was no match for the voluntary praise of a precious daughter, clothed in Jesus’ own righteousness. So he flew, knowing he is no match for the human heart. And he and I, red bird and God’s redeemed, both learn what our Creator already knows:

I can out sing the bird.

Praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord from the heavens;
    praise him in the heights above.
2 Praise him, all his angels;
    praise him, all his heavenly hosts.
3 Praise him, sun and moon;
    praise him, all you shining stars.
4 Praise him, you highest heavens
    and you waters above the skies.
5 Let them praise the name of the Lord,
    for at his command they were created,
6 and he established them for ever and ever—
    he issued a decree that will never pass away.
7 Praise the Lord from the earth,
    you great sea creatures and all ocean depths,
8 lightning and hail, snow and clouds,
    stormy winds that do his bidding,
9 you mountains and all hills,
    fruit trees and all cedars,
10 wild animals and all cattle,
    small creatures and flying birds,
11 kings of the earth and all nations,
    you princes and all rulers on earth,
12 young men and women,
    old men and children.
13 Let them praise the name of the Lord,
    for his name alone is exalted;
    his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.
14 And he has raised up for his people a horn,
    the praise of all his faithful servants,
    of Israel, the people close to his heart.
Praise the Lord.
Psalm 148


No comments:

Post a Comment