Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Blame Game, Shame, and Why that's Not Your Name

by Jennifer Smith

I was thinking of Monica Lewinsky today. Random, right? A friend on Facebook posted an interview with her. As I read the article I was struck by how greatly I identified with her. Like her, my past is full of mistakes.

I'm luckier than Monica, though. Most of my sins have been committed quietly. Only the knowledge of a few or even just myself. She, however, was branded. A reputation. A dirty word. A scarlet letter. "That woman."

Monica says, "The shame sticks to you like tar." Oh, how I know that feeling. Whether or not my past has been ridiculed on the world stage, I know what shame feels like. I know what it is to wonder what a certain group of people think of you because of past actions. I know what it is to have Satan whisper If they only know what you've done, they won't love you.

Shame, Shame. Everybody knows your name.

As I was reading the Lewinsky article my freedom in Christ bounced around like a rubber ball in my heart. I desperately wanted to reach through my iPhone, grab her, and share with her that shame is not her name.

But you, dear reader, I can grab through your screen. God has brought you to this meeting to tell you the same thing He wants to tell Monica:

Shame, shame. It's most certainly not your name.

"Though your sins be as scarlet, I have washed them white as snow" says the Redeemer of the world (Isaiah 1:18). No scarlet letter, only a blank canvas.

My pastor said the most brilliant thing this morning about our past sins. See, it's not that God forgets your sin. It's that He chooses to not remember them. There's a difference. The Creator of the universe, the One who is in charge, chooses to forgive you, chooses to call you His own, chooses to rename you.

Isaiah 43:7 tells us that God will be with all those who are called by His Name. You, dear one, sweet Christian, are most certainly labeled with the Name of Christ.

Shame and guilt are not of God, friends. They are perfectly orchestrated devices Satan uses to tell you that you aren't good enough. Here's the beautiful irony - you're not good enough. But you don't have to be. On Calvary Jesus, in all His perfection, covered you in His righteousness and goodness (Isaiah 61:10).

The next time Satan tries to brand you with the Blame Game of Shame, remind him that's not your name. Your name is inscribed on the palms of God's hands. He says in Isaiah 49:

“Can a woman forget her nursing child, or lack compassion for the son of her womb? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands..."

Remind Satan who you are. Better yet, remind yourself of who you are. And that, no matter what you've done, the blood of Jesus is enough to cover it.












No comments:

Post a Comment