Sunday, March 5, 2017

It's Time to Shine

When I was younger, in my early 20s, each day I would drive to work and pray, "God, please don't let anything bad happen today." Bless my heart, how genuine I was. I worked as a first grade teacher at a Christian school and spent every day giving my all and doing my best to guide those little hearts to Jesus.

But, looking back, I see that I lived in such fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of confrontation, fear of pressure, fear of not having things go my way, fear of terrible things happening to my family and my friends. I was in such fear that I could not even give my day to God. Instead of asking for His perfect path, I asked that He make my way perfect and smooth and carefree.

And safe.

But thank God! He loved me too much to listen to me and my playing-it-safe prayer. In my career and every other facet of my life I have been exposed to the unknown, to confrontation, to pressure, to not having things go my way, and to terrible things happening to myself, my family, and friends.

And I'm so wonderfully glad.

Let me explain. Matthew 5:17 tells us this:

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, 
and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

See, I've discovered my light cannot shine if I'm hiding under the covers. With the shades closed and the door bolted shut. No one can see my light if I'm too afraid to expose it. I've found that my greatest times of witness of Jesus Christ have been borne from incredibly, horrifying, broken moments. I've found that my God-given talents, when exposed to scrutiny and pressure, in these times, they shine the brightest. 

Friends, our terrible, horrible no good moments are actually gifts from God. They refine us like silver, says Psalm 66:10. He's burning off the no-good, impure, junk that weighs us down. He's making us into the best version of ourselves possible in these bad moments and bad days. We just have to be willing to see it.

I've found a better morning prayer and it's this: Jesus reign today. Show up in all my moments, both good and bad. 

See, as a believer, you've got power residing in you. Holy Spirit power. We just have to claim to access to it. Because when we call on God to show up in our problems, not only do we see He's there, but others see Him, too. The problems you face, ultimately, can be a display for God's goodness and His glory. 

Let's not ask for no problems, let's ask for God to show up in our problems. Let's watch Him move and weave and fix. Let's watch Him turn complete waste into complete wonder. And my dearest, He can do this through your life! Through the smallest issue to the biggest, most devastating problem. Giving Him our problems works for our good and His glory. 

People will notice when you practice handing over your problems to Him. They'll see a light in you and they'll want that light too. They'll see you succeed with confidence and lose with grace. They'll see you glow in the midst of darkness and shine bright in times of light. Not only will you feel loved and secure, but they'll get a glimpse of God. This is where seeds are planted in hearts.

Adversity is nothing when we give it to God. If anything, adversity is our time to shine. 

So tomorrow, let's pray together, God in your wisdom and goodness let your glory shine in me today. I won't hide it in fear. I will stand, exposed, to this world and believe in your good plans for anything that comes my way. 




No comments:

Post a Comment