Sunday, November 5, 2017

The New Create In Us Collective

by Jennifer Smith


Two are better than one,
   because they have a good return for their labor:
If either of them falls down,
   one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
   and has no one to help them up.
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
   But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
   two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12


I have a strong grip. Something about how I was taught to shake hands as a child, I guess. I will look down at a pen as I’m writing, a grocery bag as I walk into my kitchen, or my child’s hand in a parking lot and see my knuckles practically turning white from the hold.


I also keep a strong grip on things I hold dear. Something that extends from childhood, too, and the loss of so many things at tender ages.


I keep a white-knuckled grip on things God has given me: my marriage, my children, my ministry.


But have you ever held on to something so tight it almost breaks? The thing inside your grip deteriorating under the pressure of your hands?


We think the tighter our grip, the greater our control. Our grip actually turns into a power trip. And the things in our hands die when they were meant to flourish.


I’ve felt this way about Create In Us Ministries for awhile. Due to precious things happening in my life like pregnancy, a newborn, and three little boys I haven’t found the time to write. So many ideas, but none come to fruition because my hands were busy elsewhere.


I thought of this beautiful section of the Internet, this little blog and all the wasted space. Nothing being written, stories not being told, people not being pointed to Jesus.


But what could I do? This blog is mine. No one else writes here. In this moment my thoughts were reminiscent of the pelicans in Finding Nemo:


Mine, mine, mine.


It is never good to compare yourself to the pelicans in Finding Nemo.


And then last month, as I stood in the back of our studio at our Created to Create Retreat, hearing precious women telling powerful stories about Jesus, I heard these words from the Lord:


Open your hands. And give it away.


I felt a flood of emotion and vision as God told me what to do. So today, you’re seeing it happen.


Welcome to Create In Us Collective, a place where four women will write and tell their Jesus stories. Because two is better than one and more is better than me.


I’ve invited to this Collective the three women God told me. It was clear and immediate who would share this space. These women practice the art of showing Jesus to me every time I’m in their presence. They have shared life and hurt and real with me. And I’m so happy to share them with you:


Andrea Noles is wife to Daniel and a mommy to two little boys, a teacher, and an artist. Her Jesus gift? She makes everything beautiful. Sit with her for a minute and you’ll start to look at life under the rays of a brighter sun.


Heidi Ashe is wife to Chris and a mom to three, a teacher, and a gifted writer. Her Jesus gift? She is sure and solid. She will tell you the truth while making you feel safe.


Hannah Clements is wife to Jake and a licensed counselor. Her Jesus gift? A heart for the broken. You will never meet a person who loves God’s people more. Her gift of encouragement is something you need in your life.


And I’m still Jennifer. Founder of this blog, wife to Dusty, and mom to three boys. My Jesus gift?


Opening my hands.


I’m sharing this space with women whose words will change your perspective of the hard places in life and bring you closer to Jesus.


If you’re a frequenter of the blog you know God speaks to me through birds. The sight and sound of a bird makes me stop and pay attention to the moment, to the still, small voice.


On my way home from the retreat I prayed, “God is this really what you want me to do?”


And perched on the very top of the steeple of the church I was passing was a large black bird. It’s wings extended to their fullest. He was holding his pose like he was about to take flight, but instead somebody told him to freeze. The message was loud and clear:


Open your wings, bird.


Open your hands, Jennifer.


Welcome to Create In Us Collective.



Come back tomorrow for our newest Collective post written by Heidi. For more information on our team, read about The Collective Writers on the right side of your screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment