Sunday, December 3, 2017

The Healer and Lifter of Heavy Loads

By Hannah Clements

Everyday, I brush shoulders with nearly 600 bookbags. Each bookbag a physical representation of the burdens my students carry - some burdens light, some heavy, and some much too heavy to bear.

As a school counselor, it is truly an honor to have students unload their “bookbags” in my office - sometimes very slowly and other times dumping it all out at once. At times little pieces of their burdens become my own and I can feel it weigh heavy on my back and in my chest. The need begins to feel overwhelming. I can’t fix broken homes, broken hearts or broken mindsets - some of which don’t even know they need fixin’. So I find myself heavy with others' burdens that become my own and asking, “what do I do with these?”, and the Lord replies, “Take them to the cross. Leave them at the feet of Jesus.” 

Luke 5:17-25 comes to mind. You’ll remember this story - Four men took it upon themselves to carry a paralyzed man to The Healer and Lifter of heavy loads. What a load I am sure it must have been to carry this physical burden. Their faith made them determined to get to Jesus - desperate for his healing power. The crowds surrounding Jesus made Him difficult to reach so they lifted the heavy weight and lowered the man’s body down through the roof and placed him “right in front of Jesus.”

We are called to do the same today - to carry each other’s burdens and to lay them right in front of Jesus. Whose burdens are you carrying today? Do you carry the burdens of a friend, a student, or even a stranger who simply passed by? Do you carry your own burden and feel worn down by the weight of this world? Join me in laying each burden down right in front of Jesus. Jesus himself invited you there - “Come to me, all who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give is light.” - Matthew 11:28-30

Dear Lord,
You know the burdens of my heart. I bring them to you and lay them at your feet. You hear us, see us, and can be trusted. Thank you for taking my cares. Thank you for caring for us. You are good. 
Amen



......

Friends, at Create In Us Collective it is our desire to not only encourage you through writing but to also pray for you. If you have a burden weighing heavy on your heart, we would love to take it to Jesus with you. Feel free to leave a comment stating how we can pray for you. I ask that you join me in praying for the “bookbags” that enter my office. They are desperate for peace and healing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment