Sunday, May 17, 2015

Higher Ways

I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy being the only girl in my house. Two sons and their Daddy.

One Mommy.

Dusty says this makes me the princess. (Why do I feel this is said with a large measure of sarcasm?)

Sarcasm or not, there is something royal-like about being the only female presence in the family. I have a different perspective, different ideas. And, so sweetly, all three of my boys from the grown up Daddy to the two-year-old son appreciate and even revere my femininity.

Maybe I am the princess after all.

But Mommy is certainly not sovereign. Sovereignty means to have supreme power and authority. This is not the way things work at my house. We definitely seek to have a supreme leader over our household, but it's not me or even my husband, who is, in all ways a kind and fair head of our family:  I hope we live with God alone as our Sovereign.

With sovereignty comes a hefty responsibility. If you are the sovereign leader over a people you are responsible for every area of welfare in their lives. In short: the buck stops with the sovereign.

And God, my Sovereign, is okay with that. He's okay with being the source and supply of our every need. He, as King, will never fail you, as subject.

Life can be hard. Bad news, bad feelings, bad days, bad disease, bad loss, bad times, bad luck. Your Sovereign is not King over a fairy-tale earth.

But, your Sovereign, through all the bad, has made you, His subject, good promises:

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good 
of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them. 
Romans 8:28

From His lofty throne, high above our simple peasant land our King sees all and knows all. Therefore, I can put my complete trust in Him, lay down my will for His and live in beautiful, quiet submission to a God who knows much greater things than I do.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways
My ways," declares the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher
than the earth, so are My ways higher
than your ways and My thoughts higher than yours."
Isaiah 55:8-9

Heaven is higher. Literally and figuratively. 

God is not sovereign for tyranny's sake. Not sovereign for greed's sake. Not sovereign for injustice's sake. God is sovereign for love's sake.

Charles Spurgeon said, "When you go through a trial, the sovereignty of God is the pillow upon which you lay your head."

I concede to my Sovereign who sees what is best for me and gives me this best freely, even if it looks differently than I think it should. 

I trust in my King who takes my bad and turns it into my good.

I believe in my Prince who does not shout chants of war over my life, but calms with whispers of peace. 

He sees all from His heavenly throne. He sees me. And because my faith is well placed I will quiet my spirit and find rest in submission. Submission to my Sovereign will lead to complete peace in my life even when things, by earthly standards, should be far from peaceful. 

Far be it from me to not believe
Even when my eyes can't see
~Bethel Music, "It is Well"



Lord, may it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment