Monday, July 6, 2015

Jesus, Teach Me

My prayer recently has been, "Jesus, teach me." I forget that I am His disciple. Not a disciple of culture. Not a disciple of religion. Not a disciple of a region or a political party. Not a disciple of law. I am a disciple of love.

Jesus, teach me.

If you're like me you may be feeling like the kid in the cafeteria that no one wants to talk to. In the lunchroom that is the world, here I am standing with my tray, looking with eager eyes. Who wants to sit with me? I'm nice, I'm loving. I serve a great and generous Father.

But the world turns away from me, the Christian, this Jesus follower, labeling me trouble, calling me ugly names. So I sit alone, eating my PB and J, with great love in my heart for those who have rejected me. But what did I expect, really?

What did we think would happen? Did we think Jesus Christ would be proved a liar? This is not news to me that Christians the world over are being rejected, persecuted. And we, who feel sad when those on something as lame as social media don't understand our faith, stand in miniature to truly persecuted Christians:

Saeed Abedini, an American pastor who has been unlawfully imprisoned in Iran for almost three years. 


Yat Michael Ruot and Peter Yein Reit, two pastors in Sudan who face the death penalty for practicing their faith. 


Asia Bibi, a mother in Pakistan on trial for being a Christian who drank out of the same cup as Muslims.

Churches being burned in our own country.

Countless others.

Jesus, teach me.

Here's the bad news: Jesus was right. Christians worldwide are facing intense persecution.

“If you find the godless world is hating you, remember it got its start hating me. If you lived on the world’s terms, the world would love you as one of its own. But since I picked you to live on God’s terms and no longer on the world’s terms, the world is going to hate you." (‭John‬ ‭15‬:‭18-19‬ MSG)

Here's the good news: Jesus was right.

Jesus told me that I don't live here, not really. I'm just staying here for now. He told me that the world will hate me. And if it hates me...I should rejoice. I should be filled with joy.

“You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom. Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don’t like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble." (‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭10-12‬ MSG)

So, if you're confused or disheartened by Christian persecution, I'm confused by you. Through this persecution Jesus has been proved right yet again. And if He's right about all the bad stuff then He's right about all the good:

"In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I’ve conquered the world.” (‭John‬ ‭16‬:‭31-33‬ MSG)

So what exactly are we supposed to do in this world in which we don't belong?

Jesus, teach me.

“Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven." (‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭14-16‬ MSG)

Do I share His light? Do I rejoice in it? Do I give and love without limits? Do I claim the Name of Jesus, lover of all humanity? Or do I claim a name that loves only people who look like me?

Oh Jesus, teach me.

I pray for a new era of belief in Jesus. I see people coming to the Lord not because culture tells them good people go to church (because this is certainly not the case anymore). I see people coming to Jesus because they want to. Because they see a persecuted church and see the persecuted rejoicing and being open and generous with our lives.

They see a generous Father and a Risen Christ that is always true. And persecuted or not, they join right in. At our lunch table.


Lord, may it be so.



1 comment: