Sunday, August 9, 2015

How to Gain Heaven

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, 'Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?' He called a little child and had him stand among them. And He said: 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the Kingdom of heaven.'"

Whenever I picture those who should regally and righteously inherit the Kingdom of heaven the image my mind conjures is just that: people who seem regal and righteous. Learned sages, faithful elders, stately saints, those who have dedicated their lives to the work of the Kingdom.

But in this sweet passage our Savior says that's not the right picture. We must be like children.

Uh, Lord? Have you seen my kids? Father, I promise I am diligently training them to be strong men that live for You, but most of the time they're a little needy, a little self-centered, a little immature, and sometimes, quite frankly, they're smelly. They're childish, Lord. And you want me to emulate them?

What Jesus says is exactly what He means. On this you can always rely. So what is it about a child that makes them so Kingdom worthy? I mean, as I'm watching my children in this very moment they're covered in chocolate ice cream watching Spongebob. One of them has discarded all of his clothes and is eating Gummies in the nude. I'm trying here, Lord.

Let's observe our children closer, friends:

Children have so many questions. But they simply come to you, admit their confusion. They ask questions and faithfully expect answers.

Children accept love. They receive acts of love without any condition. They don't question it or try to determine their worthiness of it. They don't look for ulterior motives. They just take it. And they let it fill their hearts. And they thrive because of it.

Children need help. All. The. Time. But they're not afraid to admit it. They're not afraid to ask for it.

Children admit fear. In nightmares, loud noises, uncertain situations. What they feel, they say. And when they admit fear, they usually find comfort.

Children are messy. Come to my house. You will see.

Children are wholeheartedly devoted. When you give love, they'll return it. There is no hug like the hug from a child. They love with excitement and joy and hope.

Children believe. They know promises are meant to be kept. They believe good always wins.

Most of these attributes are not particularly impressive, In fact, even those good qualities listed above could be seen as being naive. But children...they don't care. They're unashamed in being flawed and not jaded by the world. They own their human-ness. Their sweet humanity. They wear their beautiful childishness with humility.

I have so many questions, but sometimes I don't trust God to give me the answer.

I want to accept love, but sometimes my past hardens my heart.

I need help, but most of the time I don't look for it, accepting that my burdens aren't big enough to give to Jesus.

I'm scared. About a lot of things. Spiritual things, political things, world events. But I don't always tell my Sovereign Almighty God about it.

I'm messy. My outsides my not look it, but boy my brain can be a big ole cluttered space.

I want to be wholeheartedly devoted to God, but I still keep pieces for myself. Like that television show that's not good for my mind or my heart. I don't give that piece to Him.

I believe. God knows my heart. He knows I believe. But do I always trust that He'll provide, that he'll see me through?

We struggle to have it all figured out, but Jesus said, Don't. In fact, He said, Come to Me with nothing: no wisdom, no righteousness, no courage, no perfection. The man who struggles to gain his own salvation does not inherit the Kingdom. But the know-nothing child who simply trusts gets it all.

We've heard "The meek shall inherit the earth (Matthew 5:5)." But what does this mean exactly? Well, the Message version of the Bible says it this way:

You're blessed when you're content with just 
who you are - no more, no less. That's the moment 
you find yourselves proud owners of everything
that can't be bought.

You don't need to be impressive, stately, or saintly to gain heaven, dear friend. You just need to bring yourself, childlike as you are: a little scared, a little confused, a little jaded, and maybe even a little smelly, and give your humble, tender heart to Him. This, my friends, is how you gain heaven.

Father, create in us a childlike heart. 





No comments:

Post a Comment