Sunday, January 17, 2016

Airplane Prayers




If you know me at all you know of my affinity for birds. Not of the exotic variety - we're not talking penguins and toucans here, but regular, everyday yard birds. Cardinals, sparrows, fat bluebirds that tuck themselves inside the tiny little birdhouse on my front porch.

Birdsong, in a quiet forest or backyard is the sweetest symphony and purest form of praise from created beings to their Creator. When I am earnestly seeking God, sometimes, if I pay attention, a bird will find its way into my line of sight, reminding me of God's sweet presence.

It's kind of awesome. I'm not even kidding here. Once, while pouring my heart out in prayer last summer a bird came and perched on the chair outside of my window, separating us by a glass pane and inches.

If you read the blog last week (which you can find here) you know of my renewed passion for prayer. So, this week as I created my prayer closet, my prayer wall, and began fervent praying daily...I couldn't feel God. There wasn't a closeness. His Spirit was not overwhelming, but in obedience and hopeful expectation I kept praying.

Then while driving home from the grocery store one afternoon, looking out my windows for birds (Yes, I actually do this...), there were none in sight. Not one bird on a bright, beautiful, blue-skied afternoon.

Only an airplane outside my front windshield.

Stupid airplane. You're not a precious, lovely bird! Lord, where are my birds?!

It's only an airplane...

And then, out my side window, another airplane appears, flying lower.

Where are my beautiful, beloved songbirds, Lord?

No songbirds, child. But airplanes.

Airplanes.

I'm not sending you birds during this season of prayer, daughter. I'm sending you airplanes.

The difference? An airplane represents speed, power, and the highest of heights. Not songbird prayers, as lovely, sweet and pure as they may be. But airplane prayers. Power and strength.

I want to pray BIG prayers, prayers that seem ridiculous and foolish to man, but delight my Father in heaven.

Do you remember the story in Acts 12 of Peter being freed from prison after earnest prayer (12:5) from the church? In the dead of night an angel came into his cell, unlocked his chains and led him through the many doors of the prison. Peter thought this was so incredible it must have been a vision. When Peter realized his escape was all very real and he had been freed he went to Mary's house (the mother of Mark). He knocked at the gate and a servant girl named Rhoda answered. Verse 14 says that in her joy and excitement she forgot to let him in and ran to tell the others. And when she did tell the others they didn't believe her, saying, "You are out of your mind."

But they had forgotten. Those gathered at Mary's house had forgotten their earnest prayer for Peter. Their airplane prayer that might have sounded something like this:

"Lord, Peter is imprisoned by the most powerful government in the world. He sleeps between two armed guards. He is bound by two separate chains. Outside his cell stand additional guards. Father, four squads of soldiers guard him altogether. The prison is locked away from the city by an iron gate that is locked at all times.

God, free Peter."

Folks, that's an airplane prayer if I've ever heard one. And God is in the business of answering these BIG, bold, C-130-speed prayers.

But did they believe God could do it? Here was Rhoda shouting, "Peter is at the gate!" And the faithful friends of Peter and believers in the Risen Christ called her crazy.

But there he was, standing at the arrivals gate. Just like he was waiting for his ride at the gate at JFK, ready to pick up his stuff at baggage claim.

The plane landed. The prayer answered.

I've been praying some airplane prayers. I've been praying BIG things. Things that may seem impossible and foolish to the world and maybe even to fellow Christians. But I will pray and keep on.

Because last night as I stood in the silence of my backyard, walking and thanking God for the kind of stars that shine brightest on a cold night, and thinking of my BIG, foolish prayers, there it was - a low flying, brightly lit airplane, clear as day in the dark of night.

Flying right over my head.

And I smiled to my Father in heaven as He spoke to my heart:

Darling, I've heard your precious bird prayers, but now it's time for new heights."

"For the foolishness of God is wiser than men..."
1 Corinthians 1:25


2 comments: