Sunday, January 10, 2016

It's Time to Start Asking




I'm learning. I love to learn. That's probably why I became a teacher. I'm curious and will spend hours on Wikipedia reading about everything from vikings to Tolstoy.

But what I'm learning about now is of far greater importance than simple history and literature.

It's prayer.

And before today I didn't understand.

But God in His tender grace and mercy deigned to teach me.

And it's changed my life.

See, I learned that prayer actually changes things.

Without getting too much into technicalities, I am a bit of a Calvinist. I can believe that God has a set plan, that He calls those who He will, and that His plans and callings are perfect. Who am I to try to change His perfect will?

But that's not exactly right. There's more to the flow of our lives than that. Because He's given us a beautiful gift -

Intercession.

James 4:2 says, "You do not have, because you do not ask."

While studying prayer I've sat under the teaching of scholars who are much smarter than me. And they all teach me the same thing - We pray because prayer works.

Genesis 18 recounts the first recorded prayer. Abraham intercedes for the city of Sodom. He knows of God's plan to destroy the city by fire and Abraham, humbly, asks God, "Father, if you can find anyone righteous in the city will you spare it?"

The city was so corrupt that the only righteous folk to be found inside were Abraham's nephew and family. And God sends His own angels into the city to drag Lot and his wife and daughters out.

His own angels.

Prayer changes things. Abraham asked and God gave.

I'll tell you something intensely personal. Since November, my joy, which is usually found in abundance has disappeared. I admitted this to my friend Hannah last week and she vowed that she would pray for me.

My joy has since returned, and not just in its usual amount, but I possibly have more joy in my heart than ever before.

Prayer changes things. Hannah asked and God gave.

My friend Hannah is righteous. Not because of her own doing, but because she claims the precious blood of Jesus. And James 5:16 tells us, "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

Prayer changes things.

James tells us to pray so much, so fervently in his letter found in the New Testament because prayer works. Prayer can change the course of your life, of your city, of your family. Prayer can change the world. Your prayer can change the course of human history.

I realize this may seem far fetched to even the most devout of us. But we believe in a God of miracles, don't we? We believe in a God who can do immeasurably more than we can even ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20)?

What if He's just waiting for us to ask?

Why aren't we asking?

I'm committing myself this day to start asking. I will ask for the small, the big, and the seemingly impossible. I will ask the God of the Universe who claims me as His precious child to do great and unimaginable things. I will ask Him to perform miracles in my family and in my town and in my church. I will believe Him when He tells me, "You don't have...because you haven't asked!"

Do you believe enough to put your heart on your sleeve and ask God to show up? Because I am. I'm asking Him to show up in big ways.

Starting today I will pray. Are you brave enough to pray with me?



No comments:

Post a Comment