Sunday, January 28, 2018

A Psalm, A Prayer, Praise, and Priorities

by Hannah Clements

Happy New Year, Friends! I don't know about you, but each new year causes me to pause and reflect. Did I spend my time well in the year past? What were my highs and what were my lows?

When I reflect on how I spent my time and my list of priorities last year, an image pops in to my head that I can't seem to shake. Mid 2017, I am sure I was busy trying to accomplish my long list of important things, and I walked by my typical reading and meeting with Jesus spot (the dining room table). What I saw stopped my in my tracks. I can still see it clear as day - Bible open with my cell phone placed right on top. I didn't remember laying my phone there or what I was doing, but that very image stopped me and pierced my heart as if God were asking me "What have you been putting on top of my Word?" "What have you been putting on top of our time together?" 

To answer those questions - Lately, I would say definitely my never ending list of things that must be done. Anyone else constantly repeating all that needs to happen before sun down? The anxiety of completing it all creeps up, and I don't even have kids yet, y'all. 

Psalm 46:10 says "Be still and know that I am God." In 2018, I choose more being still and less busy. I choose more of Jesus. In 2018, I choose more time reading the Word and less time reading Facebook. I choose more time in prayer and less time in worry. I choose more time giving praise and less time complaining. 

Do you too need to get your priorities straight? 

If so, join me by making time for Bible reading (not an item on your to do list but a choice that is sweet and life giving). Psalm 19:10 says the Laws of the Lord are more desirable than gold, and sweeter than honey. His Word is good! 

Join me in prayer. Psalm 17:6 says we can pray because "I know you will answer, O God. Bend down and listen as I pray." 

Join me in praise - no matter what circumstances 2018 brings, know this - "As your name deserves, O God, you will be praised to the ends of the earth. Your strong right hand is filled with victory." Psalm 48:10. He is worthy of praise. He is good and he is working all things out for our good. 

Dear Lord, 
Thank you for a new year! Thank you for new life in you. Lord, I give 2018 to you. May 2018 be full of things that bring you glory. You are good and worthy of praise.
Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment