Monday, January 21, 2019

Lisa Frank and Serving

by Jamie Gunter

I had a slight obsession with Lisa Frank as a child. Ok, ok… it was not slight in the slightest. It was an all-out crazed obsession with the bright, cheerful colors and fantastic creatures. I coveted all things Lisa Frank- the pencil cases, notebooks, pens… And then I received the GOAT Lisa Frank gift- a pens/paper/card gift set. A WHOLE SET of beautifully bound, SCENTED paper and pens with cards that you could give to (what must be) the most special people in the entire world.

Now some kids would rip into that new gift with a fury and everything would be written on in around twenty minutes. That was not me. I was wise enough to know this opportunity did not come ever… I couldn’t waste these precious scented papers on just anyone. So, I put them in my most upfront, special center drawer in my desk… for the right time.

When I cleaned out my drawers before going to college guess what I found… my beloved Lisa Frank gift set. The papers didn’t smell anymore and the pens were dry. I wanted to cry. I never did give them to the most important people in the world. I didn’t give them to anyone. I put them in a dark, safe place where they were not appreciated. Actually, everytime I would see them in that drawer as a child I remember feeling anxiety over knowing exactly what to do with them.
A waste really.

As I was driving to work this week, I was thinking about some things that I clasp tightly in my hands and am so scared to let go of. Money, time, energy… I realized I hold these things as much too sacred. And I realized that God has asked me to let them go. To give these things to the most important people- His people. If I hold them close and keep them for myself, it’s such a waste.

So many times we are reminded in the bible to serve, to give, to sacrifice for others. In Luke, Jesus tells us “For who is greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves...but I am among you as the one who serves.”

I was embarrassed in that moment in my car at the amount of times I have failed God in my service. I have failed to show compassion and love for His children. I have let my own selfishness, greed, and pride direct my giving. I hold onto the things I value like I held onto my Lisa Frank gift set.

It became real to me when Paul says in Philippians “not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.” To give not to receive but to be thinking selflessly about what the receiver is blessed with.

I had my feelings hurt this week. I wallowed in self-pity and honestly gave it way too much space and time in my mind and heart. That image of Lisa Frank pens popped up again- God was showing me something- I was holding onto my own selfish issues when I needed to give it over to Him and get on with my service to His glory.

I will never be perfect in my love for others. I am not meant to be. Jesus is the only one who can hold that title. But, I can sure improve. I can use my most beautiful paper to write to someone who needs encouragement, and I can give all I can when I see hurt. I can seek opportunities to serve and to love. I can look past my own hurts and issues and actually see other people.



1 comment: